Warhammer 40,000 Roleplay: Wrath & Glory Errata
Below is a comprehensive list of changes for those who purchased only the physical 40k Rulebook originally. This list includes all of the main changes, allowing you to easily play Cubicle 7's Warhammer 40,000 Roleplay: Wrath & Glory Rulebook!
The Gilead System
The Gilead System is the default setting of Wrath & Glory, a scant few planets isolated in Imperium Nihilus. Beset on all sides by enemies and cut off from reinforcements by the malign influence of the Great Rift, the diverse factions of the Imperium must unite to defend this bastion of Imperial purity.
The Gilead System has been detailed in an entirely new chapter in the Rulebook.
All page references are for the original Wrath & Glory Core Rules.
- Critical Cards and Campaign Cards have been removed from the base game.
Limits on Bonuses & Penalties
- The amount of bonus dice that can be added to a dice pool are no longer limited by your Tier.
- The amount of penalties that increase the DN of a Test are no longer limited by your Tier.
Combined Actions / Help
- The Combined Actions mechanic has been replaced by Help.
- You can use a Skill or Attribute to help someone else succeed on a Test. Say what you are doing to Help and what Attribute or Skill you are using. If the GM agrees that would be helpful, grab a number of dice equal to the Attribute or Skill Rating you are using to Help. Your ally can use those dice as bonus dice on their Test.
Using Wrath to restore Shock
- When you use an Action and spend a point of Wrath to restore Shock you gain Shock equal to your Rank + your Tier.
The rules exist to help you enjoy epic stories in the grim darkness of the 41st Millennium. They should never be a barrier to fun.
If a rule is in the way of fun, change or ignore it.
This rule is so important you’ll find optional rules throughout the Rulebook to customise your ruleset to best suit your group and playstyle.
Extra Wargear - allows you to swap your starting Wargear.
Innate vs Learned - prevents characters from attempting Skill Tests if they do not have a Rating in that Skill.
Consistent or Milestone - provides guidance on when to award XP, though as always, its up to your group.
Imagine the Consequences! - a quick way to generate Complications if you don’t want to come up with your own.
Glorious Greed - if a player uses a point of Glory without the permission of the other players, they gain a point of Corruption.
Keyword Contact - for each of your Keywords, you have an NPC contact in that organisation.
NPC Attitudes - a set of rules to quickly determine the DN modifier of any social Tests made with an NPC.
I Wanna Roll! - how to roll for initiative, instead of using the back-and-forth, Agents then GM approach.
‘Realistic’ Weapon Range - options for how to use weapon Range to more accurately reflect realism.
Beyond Range - allows you to fire Ranged weapons at targets beyond long range with DN penalties based on the specific conditions.
Redirected Fire - when using a Pistol whilst Engaged, you can use this optional rule to incorporate the Firing into Melee rules to determine a random target if a Complication is rolled.
Combined Attack - an option for the entire party to bring massed firepower to bear against a target.
Shockingly Powerful - changes the amount of Shock dealt when the Icons on an attack Test equal the targets Resilience to Rank +1.
Inglorious Retreat - allows the party to retreat from potentially deadly situations, at a cost to their Glory.
Last Stand - a mechanic that allows you to risk death for a single super-powered Turn.
You Will Not Be Missed - a set of options for customizing how deadly the Dying mechanic is.
Advanced Armour - an option for using the original Invulnerable rules splitting Armour Rating and Base Resilience.
Exchanging Powers - a simple system for exchanging one psychic power for another.
The process of Character Creation has been streamlined as follows:
Create a Framework with your group
Choose your Archetype
Customize your character by spending your remaining XP
Know your Faction
Add any Faction Bonuses
Roll or select a Background Bonus
Roll your Objective
Calculate your Traits
Write in your character’s name
Develop your character’s backstory, if desired
Build Points / Experience Points
Build Points (BP) have been renamed to Experience Points (XP)
Concept & Framework
- Concept & Framework have been merged.
- The first step of character creation is deciding your Framework. A Framework is a sentence or two that describes your characters as a group. It defines who your characters are, what kind of adventures you’d like to go on, and your ultimate goal as a team. You can refer back to your Framework while you’re making characters and playing the game to ensure you keep focused and stay on track.
Page 71, Page 73, Pages 89-105
- Selecting a Species is no longer a part of standard character creation. Your Species is tied to your Archetype, unless you are using Advanced Character Creation.
- Each Archetype can only be taken by a single Species. If you select an Archetype, you have selected a Species. The XP Cost, the base Attributes, and base Skills of a Species are all included as part of any Archetype that is that Species.
- Species no longer have a Base Tier.
- The Species Ability Outsider has been replaced with a universal +2 DN to any Test requiring social communication between two different Species, except for between Astartes and Humans.
- XP Cost increased from 50 to 160 XP.
- Base Attributes increased from: +1 Strength, +1 Toughness, +1 Agility, +1 Resolve
To: Agility 4, Initiative 4, Intellect 3, Strength 4, Toughness 4, Will power 3
The increase to the Resolve Trait is now part of the Honour the Chapter Species Ability.
- Adeptus Astartes now have base Skill Ratings:
Athletics 3, Awareness 3, Ballistic Skill 3, Stealth 3, Weapon Skill 3
- The Angel of Death Species Ability has been renamed to Defender of Humanity, and now adds +Rank Icons to a successful attack against any Mob.
-The Honour the Chapter Species Ability now increases Resolve Trait by +1
- XP Cost increased from 100 to 198 XP.
- Base Attributes increased from: +2 Strength, +1 Agility, +1 Toughness, +1 Resolve, +4 Wounds
To: Agility 4, Initiative 4, Intellect 3, Strength 5, Toughness 5, Willpower 3
The increase to the Resolve and Wounds Traits are now part of the Honour the Chapter Species Ability.
- Primaris Astartes now have base Skill Ratings:
Athletics 3, Awareness 3, Ballistic Skill 3, Stealth 3, Weapon Skill 3
- The Honour the Chapter (Primaris) Species Ability now increases Resolve Trait by +1 and your Wounds Trait by +3.
- The Eldar Species has been changed to the Aeldari Species.
- The Psychosensitive Species Ability now allows any Aeldari to take the Psyker Keyword.
- XP Cost increased from 10 to 20 XP.
- Base Attributes increased from: +1 Toughness
To: Strength 3, Toughness 3
Character Tier Restrictions
- Character Tier Restrictions have been removed.
- Attribute costs have been changed for a more even Incremental XP Cost.
- Tier Attribute Limits have been removed.
Soak / Determination
- The Soak Trait has been renamed to Determination.
- Your Maximum Wounds Trait is now calculated by multiplying your Tier by 2, then adding your Toughness Rating.
- Skill costs have been changed for a more even Incremental XP Cost.
- Maximum Starting Talent Limits have been removed.
Psychic Powers Tier Limits
- The limit on the number of psychic powers you can learn per Tier has been removed.
Page 82, Page 194-201
- Backgrounds have been expanded in the new Factions Chapter.
- There are now more than 4 types of Background, and specific Backgrounds depending on your character’s faction or subfaction.
Page 82, Page 206-211
- Ascension has been expanded in the new Advancement Chapter.
- There are 3 methods of Ascension:
Creation Ascension - Ascend an Archetype of a lower Tier before you start playing.
Experience Ascension - Ascend a character after gaining 100 XP through play.
Milestone Ascension - The GM changes the Tier of play, awarding you 100 XP.
- The list of Ascension Packages has been expanded from 2 to 6.
- A mechanic for ascending a character to a new Archetype has been added.
Tier Character Creation Restrictions
- All Tier Character Creation Restrictions have been removed except for your starting XP. Your starting XP is always equal to your Tier x100
- There are now 3 Ranks. All characters start at Rank 1, then move to Rank 2 once they gain a total of 40 XP through play, and then move to Rank 3 when they gain a total of 80 XP through play.
- ½ Rank has been removed from the game. In some cases, Double Rank is now used.
Custom Archetypes / Advanced Character Creation
- The Custom Archetypes Sidebar has been replaced by a system for Advanced Character Creation:
Create your Framework with your group
You receive bonus XP equal to your Tier x10
Select your Species and Faction. This may require you to spend XP
You and your GM can decide on your Keywords based on your choices
Purchase your Attributes, Skills and Talents
Select your Wargear
- The Space Marine Chapter Abilities have been updated to reflect the adjustments to game mechanics and more accurately reflect Chapter history and biology.
- Archetypes have been completely overhauled:
Prerequisites have been removed entirely. When you select an Archetype, you gain Attribute and Skill Ratings, and an Archetype Ability. Each of these elements is included in the Archetype XP Cost. You also gain Keywords, Wargear, and potentially an Influence modifier.
Species is now included in the XP Cost of an Archetype. Each Archetype is only available to a single Species.
Every Archetype now belongs to a Faction — see the section on the Factions Chapter for more information.
Many Archetype Abilities have been updated to accommodate for changes to the mechanics.
Most Archetypes now have Suggested Attributes, Skills, and Talents to guide players that are new to the game or want to make a character quickly.
- The new Factions chapter consolidates the rules for Backgrounds and Objectives with the information on the Imperium and its various subfactions as well as the Aeldari, Ork, and Chaos Factions.
- The Agents of the Imperium subfaction has been split into the Adeptus Astra Telepathica, Inquisition, and Rogue Trader Dynasties subfactions.
Adeptus Astra Telepathica
Rogue Trader Dynasties
- Each Faction and subfaction features:
A full description
A list of Archetypes
A minimum of 9 different Background elements with a description and a potential bonus of +1 to a Trait.
6 Objectives to roll for, choose from, or be inspired for at the start of each session.
- The Gilead Gravediggers have been added as an Astra Militarum Regiment.
- The bonuses awarded by each Regiment have been updated to provide bonus dice to Tests closely associated with the Regiment’s history.
- Aeldari characters may now chooe from Asuryani Paths they may have walked, reflecting their narrative backstory and awarding considerable bonuses on specific Skill Tests.
- Minor updates have been made to the Keyword abilities to accommodate for changes to the core mechanics.
- Assets have been removed from the game.
- Languages have been codified and linked to Keywords.
- The codified uses of the Mediae skill have been modified to reflect changes to Wounds, the Wounded state, and Dying.
- Medicae can now be used for the following:
Heal Wounds - DN 3 Test to restore a single Wound to a character
Every Shift recovers an additional Wound.
During a Regroup, you may choose one character; they automatically recover a number of Wounds equal to your Medicae (Int) dice pool.
Remove a Condition - with a DN based on the penalty applied by the Condition.
Restore Shock - If you have the correct equipment, you can make a DN 3 Medicae (Int) Test to restore Rank +1 Shock.
- Additional optional rules for Stealth have been added, revolving around a Stealth Score.
- By rolling your Stealth (A) dice pool and counting the Icons, you generate a Stealth Score. Taking actions that draw attention to yourself reduces your Stealth Score. When your Stealth Score is below a character’s Passive Awareness, you are detected.
- List of Talents has been expanded from 43 to 92, including a subsection for the 13 Faith Talents.
Heroes / Agents
- Player characters are now referred to as Agents in text.
- A Mob of similar Troop threats can be formed or split as a Free Action on the GMs Turn, but a Mob can’t be formed and split in the same Round.
Full Actions / Full-Round Actions
- Full Actions are now called Full-Round Actions.
- A character's Long Jump is equal to their Strength in metres. A character’s High Jump is equal to a quarter of their Strength in metres.
- Landing on Difficult Terrain as part of a jump forces a DN 3 Athletics (S) Test to avoid falling Prone.
- Running allows you to use your Simple Action to move double your Speed in metres.
- Sprinting is now a Full-Round Action that allows you to move triple your Speed in metres in a straight line.
- Characters Climb at half their Speed, but may attempt Athletics (S) Tests or use up their Actions to Climb faster.
- Range is metres by default. Metres can be converted to inches 1-1 if you are using miniatures. The ranges of weapons and psychic powers have been reworked to accommodate this change.
Damage & Resilience
- By default, your Resilience is now equal to your Base Resilience (Toughness +1) plus your Armour Rating. Armour Piercing affects all of your Resilience, not just your Armour Rating.
- The original method of treating Base Resilience as invulnerable to Armour Piercing is available as an Optional Rule.
Pistols in Close Combat
- When you use a ranged weapon with the Pistol Trait whilst Engaged in close combat, you make a Ballistic Skill (A) Test and suffer a +2 DN Penalty. You can’t use ranged options like Aim, and receive no bonuses for being in Short Range.
Ammo, Reloads, & Salvo Options
- Reloads are now named Ammo.
- Reloading is a Simple Action that uses 1 point of Ammo.
- If you use a Salvo Option, you must Reload before you can fire your weapon again.
Full Auto - gain bonus dice equal to your weapon’s Salvo value
Spray Shot - Reduce the DN of a Multi-Attack by the weapons Salvo value
Spray Shot vs Mobs - You hit an additional number of individuals in the Mob equal to your weapon’s Salvo value
- Called Shot now awards +1 ED for every +1 DN you add to the attack Test.
- Multi-Attack now works the same way as Multi-Action, requiring one Test per target and adding +2 DN to every Test per additional target.
Suppressive Fire / Pinning Attack
- Suppressive Fire is now called Pinning Attack.
- Lightly Wounded and Heavily Wounded have been replaced by Wounded.
- If you suffer any number of Wounds, you are Wounded, and suffer a +1 DN Penalty to all Tests.
Unconsciousness, Defiance, & Death
- Unconsciousness has been removed from the game, though is still available as an Optional Rule.
- Defiance Tests have been removed from the game. When you suffer more Wounds than your Maximum Wounds Trait, you fall Prone and are Dying. If you recover any number of Wounds, you are no longer Dying.
- Whist Dying, you can crawl and take basic Actions. If you suffer any Wounds or roll a Complication whilst Dying, you suffer a Traumatic Injury. If you suffer more Traumatic Injuries than your Tier +1, you die.
Explosives & AOE
- All explosives and AOE attacks now have a Radius in metres as well as a recommended number of targets hit if you are using the theatre of the mind approach.
Combat Effects / Conditions
- Combat Effects are now called Conditions.
- Conditions can stack, increasing the penalty applied.
- If you fail your Fear Test, you suffer a +2 DN penalty to all Tests until the Fear subsides.
- Increases your Strength by +1 in addition to the other effects.
- Changed from an Environmental Hazard to a Condition.
- Whilst On Fire, you suffer 1d3 Mortal Wounds at the start of each of your Turns. You may then use your Action to throw yourself Prone and roll around in an attempt to extinguish the fire with a DN 3 Athletics (S) Test. If you succeed you are no longer On Fire. Alternatively, you can attempt to ignore the flames and take your Turn as normal. Make a DN 3 Willpower Test; if you fail, you are Hindered.
- If you fail a Terror Test, you suffer all the effects of Fear and must use your Turns to run away from the source of Terror as fast as possible.
- If you have a Medicae rating, you can restore another character’s Wounds equal to your Medicae (Int) dice pool.
- Rarity penalties have been reduced:
Very Rare: +3
Acquiring Reloads / Acquiring Ammo
- Ammo now has a Value and Rarity so that it can be acquired through Influence Tests.
- Different types of Ammo now have Values and Rarities so that they can be acquired through Influence Tests.
- If you acquire Grenades or Missiles through Influence Tests, you receive a number equal to 5 minus the item’s Rarity.
- You can fire an Assault weapon as part of a Sprint (even though a Sprint is a Full-Round Action) with a +2 DN Penalty.
- Changed from a size to a numeric rating that expresses the Radius of the explosion in metres. Dividing the numeric rating by 2 gives a number of targets for the theatre of the mind approach.
- Clarified that you can’t Shift to increase the damage of a Blast weapon, and that a Critical Hit with a Blast weapon effects all targets hit by the attack.
- The Flamer Trait has been added. Flamers fire a blazing stream of liquid that ignores cover. You can Shift whilst firing a Flamer to arc the line of burning chemicals left or right a number of metres equal to your Ballistic Skill Rating.
- Added the Ork weapon Trait, Kustom. When you acquire a weapon with the Kustom Trait, you may replace it with a different weapon Trait. If you choose a Trait with a rating, roll 1d3 to determine the rating.
Penetrating / Rending
- Renamed Penetrating to Rending.
- When fired at Short Range, a Spread weapon can hit any number of targets as long as they are within 3m of one another. A Spread weapon also gains +3 bonus dice when fired at a Mob.
Steadfast / Reliable
- Renamed Steadfast to Reliable.
- Silent Trait added. Weapons with the Silent Trait only reduce your Stealth Score by -2.
Toxic / Inflict (Condition)
- Added the Inflict (Condition) Trait. If a weapon with this Trait deals damage, it inflicts a Condition to the target.
- This replaces the Toxic Trait.
Ranged Weapon Ranges
- All ranged weapon ranges have been reworked to be more familiar and accessible.
- All 3 range bands (Short, Medium and Long) are displayed for each ranged weapon.
Wargear Cost Rebalance
- The Value and Rarity of all Wargear has been rebalanced to be more accessible.
Additional ED for Melee Weapons
- Melee Weapons have been rebalanced to have additional ED.
Monoscope / Magnocular Scope
- Monoscope moved from upgrades into equipment.
- Magnocular Scope replaces the Monoscope, removing range penalties from Awareness (Int) Tests and reducing any Range penalties on attack Tests by -2.
Additional Special Ammo
- Added Dumdum Bullets and Manstopper Rounds.
- Invulnerable Armour now makes your Total Resilience invulnerable to AP.
There is an Optional Rule to use the original mechanic for Invulnerable.
- Added Mag Boots to the Equipment.
- Added an optional rule for technology built in to certain types of armour.
Gaining Psychic Powers
- There is no longer a limit on the number of Psychic Powers you can learn. A Psyker may choose a single Psychic Discipline to learn powers from, in addition to Minor Psychic Powers and Universal Psychic Powers.
- A Talent has been added to the game that allows you to learn additional Psychic Discplines.
- Aeldai automatically know the Runes of Battle Discipline, and may choose one other Discipline to learn powers from.
Added Psychic Powers
- 6 psychic powers have been added, one for each of the major Disciplines.
Existing Psychic Powers
- Many psychic powers have been adjusted and rebalanced to function correctly with the updated mechanics.
- When you make a Corruption Test you gain Corruption equal to the difference between the DN and the number of Icons you rolled.
Mental Traumas / Subtle Mutation
- Mental Traumas have been replaced with Subtle Mutations, 8 easily hidden mutations not directly related to a character’s mental state.
- Added an updated format for Bestiary entries for improved readability and accessibility.
- All Bestiary entries have been updated to reflect the changes to mechanics.
- Any Bestiary entries that are based on Archetypes use the same calculations as they would for an Archetype, minus some XP and player character bonuses.
- Heavily expanded and tested for usability.